ExpoTimes News Magazine 3 years ago

E.U. lauds A.U. for historic continental free trade pact, pledges support

European Union (E.U.) Commission has lauded the African Union (A.U.) over the historic March 21 continental trade pact that was signed by over forty countries

Diaspora News
Archives

By Aminata Abu Bakarr Kamara

A family whose home was demolished during an ongoing operation in Freetown has accused officials linked to the Ministry of Lands, Housing and Country Planning of demanding money before they could engage with them over the status of their property.

The allegation was made during a demolition exercise involving the National Protected Area Authority (NPAA), as affected residents appealed to the authorities for additional time to remove their belongings from their homes.

The exercise left some residents distressed, with one mother seen crying as she pleaded with the demolition team to delay the operation because of the heavy rain.

“Please give us time to take out our properties from the house. I would not be able to take my things out in this rain,” she pleaded.

Her appeal, however, was rejected by the leader of the operation, who said residents had been given repeated opportunities to vacate the area.

“No, there is no way we would give you more time because we are working by the law. We came here in June, July and even last week. We told all the residents of this area to move out,” the team leader said.

But the account of previous warnings was challenged by the affected family’s daughter, who said authorities had not given them adequate opportunity to resolve their concerns.

According to her, during one of the visits, only one official came to their residence and she was the person who met him.

She said she had recently returned from hospital after being ill when the official arrived at the house

According to her, the official handed her a document, marked portions of the building and asked whether she could read.

She said she read the document and asked what the family was expected to do.

“He asked if we have documents and I said yes, we have full documents for the property. He asked us to go and meet them at their office,” she recounted.

The daughter said her mother and other affected residents subsequently went to the office after being invited to discuss the matter.

It was during that visit, she alleged, that the residents were asked to pay money before they could speak with the officials.

“When they went there, they demanded money for us to talk to them,” she alleged.

The allegation was, however, denied by authorities present at the demolition exercise. Officials maintained that the place visited by the residents was not an office belonging to the Ministry of Lands, Housing and Country Planning.

The conflicting accounts have raised further questions about communication between the authorities and residents affected by the demolition exercise, particularly regarding notices, documentation and the procedures available to property owners who dispute the government’s decision.

The affected family insists that it possesses documentation relating to the property and believes the documents should have been properly examined before the demolition was carried out.

For the authorities, however, the position remains that the demolition is part of an enforcement exercise being conducted in accordance with the law and that residents had been given previous warnings to vacate the area.

The dispute comes at a time when government agencies have intensified enforcement actions against structures considered to be located within protected or restricted areas.

For affected residents, the issue extends beyond the legality of the demolition. They say they also face the immediate challenge of losing shelter and salvaging household belongings, particularly during the rainy season.

The emotional scenes at the demolition site highlighted the human consequences of such enforcement exercises, as families confronted the possibility of spending nights without adequate shelter.

The allegations of money being demanded from residents also remain unresolved, with authorities denying that the office allegedly involved was an official office of the Lands Ministry.

The development therefore underscores the need for clear communication, proper verification of property documents and transparent procedures when government agencies undertake demolition exercises.

It also raises concerns about whether residents have sufficient access to official channels through which they can present claims, challenge decisions and seek clarification before their properties are removed.

As the demolition exercise continues, affected residents are calling for authorities to consider their individual circumstances and provide adequate time where necessary to remove personal belongings.

The authorities, meanwhile, maintain that the operation is being conducted within the framework of the law and that residents were repeatedly informed to leave the area.

The allegations made by the affected family have not been independently verified, and no evidence has been presented publicly to substantiate the claim that money was demanded by officials. The denial by authorities also remains part of the dispute.

The controversy nevertheless places renewed attention on the importance of accountability and transparency in land administration and enforcement, particularly where government action directly affects homes and livelihoods.

Copyright –Published in Expo Times News on Monday, 17th August 2026 (ExpoTimes News – Expo Media Group (expomediasl.com)

© 2023 Expo Media Group. All Rights Reserved. Powered By Wire Limited.